City of Somerville
Massachusetts

Agenda Item
190640

32.H Requesting approval to appropriate $600,000 in Capital Funds from the Assembly Square Stabilization Fund for Morse-Kelley Playground renovation.

Information

Department:Transportation & ParksSponsors:
Category:Mayor's RequestFunctions:Appropriation/Budget

Body

To the Honorable Board:

 

I respectfully request an appropriation in the amount of six hundred thousand dollars ($600,000) from the Assembly Square Stabilization Fund to fund the full construction costs for the renovation of the Morse-Kelley Playground.

 

The City has received a Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities (PARC) grant in the amount of $384,000 from the Division of Conservation Services for the Morse-Kelley Playground construction cost. The State will reimburse 64% of construction costs, or $384,000. The City is responsible for the remaining 36% municipal share of the PARC grant, or $216,000. As part of the grant requirements, the City must appropriate funds for the entire cost of the project.  Two other Board Actions (PARC grant acceptance and dedication of Morse-Kelley Playground to open space and recreational use in perpetuity) are also being submitted for your consideration at this time.

 

This is a reimbursable grant. The City must pay for the full project cost and get reimbursed from the State.  It is my intent to seek an appropriation back to the Assembly Square Stabilization Fund of the $384,000 reimbursable amount once received from the State.

 

Thank you for your consideration. OSPCD staff will be available to answer any questions you may have.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Joseph A. Curtatone

Mayor

Meeting History

Dec 16, 2010 7:00 PM Video Board of Aldermen Regular Meeting
RESULT:REFERRED FOR RECOMMENDATION
Jan 24, 2011 6:00 PM  Finance Committee Committee Meeting

The park construction cost is estimated to be $600,000. The state will reimburse the city 64% of the cost ($384,000) and the city will be responsible for the remaining 36% ($216,000).

RESULT:APPROVED
Jan 27, 2011 7:00 PM Video Board of Aldermen Regular Meeting
RESULT:APPROVED. [UNANIMOUS]
AYES:John M. Connolly, Bruce M. Desmond, Dennis M. Sullivan, William A. White Jr., William M. Roche, Maryann M. Heuston, Thomas F. Taylor, Walter F. Pero, Sean T. O’Donovan, Rebekah L. Gewirtz
ABSENT:Robert C. Trane